Thursday, February 12, 2015

Hot, Cold, or Nothing at All!


Revelation 3:15,16 (NLT) "I know all the things you do, that you are neither hot nor cold.  I wish that you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!"

It was December 1999, and I landed in Germany, fresh off the plane.  I had just completed my training for the Army and my first duty station was Europe.  I was days from turning 19 and boy was I ready to celebrate!  I had no one telling me what to do (mother) or kids to watch after (siblings).  I was free and ready to live life!! It didn't take me long to navigate the culture and gain some friends to party with.  The culture was rich and diverse and I wanted to explore it all as well as party as much as I could. 

Back at home, I left a life of church and a pretty religious family.  But my mom, being a single mom, raised us with a tight rope.  We were sheltered from everything...no dances.  No get together with friends.  Barely any phone conversations with friends.  And much more.  So leaving not only my home, but the continental United States was liberating.  

One day, while at work, I was jamming to one of my favorite R&B groups at the time. This guy walked over to my desk.  I had heard of him, real spiritual guy.  And from some of the conversations I'd heard him in, I could tell he was also very straight forward.  Without hesitation, he sat at my desk (unwelcomed) and pulled his bible out of his bag and plopped open on my desk.  He turned to Revelation 3:15, 16.  He asked me to read it.  After looking at him for a minute like he was crazy, I read it and shrugged my shoulders.  Without skipping a beat his next comment/question was "If you die right now, where would you go heaven or hell?" What kind of a question was that?  He had some nerve!  He stared me square in my eye...and me matching his stare...I said with confidence "heaven!"  He went on to give me a sermon/lecture right there in the office...at my desk.  

Of course I couldn't have been more wrong in my entire life.  In ignorance and smug confidence I had no idea what I was talking about.  Knowing what I know now, there was no possible way I was ever going to heaven or anywhere close to it with one foot in the club of way and the other in the church.  

  I've been born again for some years now...but this blog came about as the result of one of my devotion lessons and me having flashbacks of my conversation with the gentleman.  What strikes me is that many people have the that same misconceived notion that I had back then... we can do what we want, live how we want and and as long as we believe in God, we'll go to heaven.  Now hear me out, I'm not here to judge anybody.  That's not my job.  I don't have a heaven or hell to put anyone in.  However, I can tell what the bible says and one can take it for what it's worth.

1 John 2:3-4 (NLT) "And we can be sure that we know Him if we obey His commandments.  If someone claims, 'I know God,' but doesn't obey God's commandments, that person is a liar and is not living in the truth."

Being a Christian doesn't exempt us from sin.  Being a Christian doesn't mean we grow wings and float above problems and issues.  Being a Christian doesn't mean we become saints and quote scriptures all day.  I could go on but I'm sure by now you catch what I'm saying.  Even as Christians, we will fall, stumble, make mistakes and sin.  However, the difference is when we make a constant effort to allow the sting of conviction to cleanse us from unrighteousness and continue in our pursuit towards Jesus Christ.  It took me many years and many failed attempts to realize that I was lying to myself.  The only thing that remotely reflected a life for Christ were my words.  

Matthew 7:16a (NLT) You can identify them by their fruit, that is, by the way they act...

Bottom line is we are either going to be hot or cold for God.  There are no grey areas in Him.  If you haven't done so already, let today be the day to decide that you will strive to be hot for God.  And know this, you will stumble.  You will trip.  You will sin. Because none of us are perfect.  Don't let that be a deterrent to your final destination.  We are in this together.  Be blessed!!  

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is Mary...it really is. I pray we come to a place of full understanding that it's not enough to just say we believe in God...or that we go to church, pay tithes, or any other outward expression. Because it's all a matter of the heart. That's why Jesus said He will tell people that He never knew them. Because we deceive ourselves to thinking and believing that what we do on the outside is enough to enter into heave...but it's so not!! Thank you for your comments! =)

      Delete